Thursday, February 26, 2009

Nursing Does More Than Pay the Bills

I initially chose my career in nursing for financial reasons. One of my friends had become a registered nurse and was making a very comfortable living. When we would get together, I would often ask her questions about the time commitment involved with becoming an RN and what she liked and disliked about the job. Being a close friend, she tried her best to paint an accurate picture for me of what her daily work was all about and certainly didn't sugarcoat her position. While I was interested in what she had to say, I was much more interested in finding a way to quickly raise my earning potential. I enrolled in a nursing program and worked part time while I went to school. After graduation, I was able to get a job at a senior care facility. I was already prepared for the worst I might encounter and was looking forward to getting my first paycheck.

My first paycheck came and went, and while I was happy to be earning a high hourly wage, my focal point had shifted. You see, for the first time in my working life, I actually looked forward to going to work. It's not that I ever hated any particular previous job so much that I dreaded coming in, but more that I always viewed work as a necessary evil. Nursing changed that for me.
Everyday, I get to help people. I comfort them when they need to be comforted. I listen when they need someone to talk to. I have a very busy schedule, and not everything I do is rewarding or even pleasant, but there are aspects of this job that make me feel like I am really making a difference to someone. Three months after I started my job, one of our patients unexpectedly passed away. When his family came for the wake and funeral, they made a point to stop by the facility and thank me. Apparently, this man had told them several times of how kind I was to him and how much he appreciated it. Hearing this made me cry, but it also made me happy that my efforts were appreciated.

It's now been a few years since I first graduated from the nursing program. I'm going to earn an online bachelor's of science in nursing while I continue at my job. My hope is to eventually become head nurse, although I want to avoid moving into an administrative position. I like spending my workday caring for patients. The feeling I get from my job is worth more than any paycheck could ever be.

Find out more about Internet Marketing Strategy and get up to speed with Best website review here. Learn where the best places are to get Directory Information which is a popular website that specializes in providing information of Business.

No comments:

Post a Comment